First, I’d like to say thanks to everyone who entered the Hallmarket Notebooklet Giveaway. There were lots of fun facts too. Here’s a smattering of my favorites:
- Ikea is coming (true. Late 2014)
- The mayor, Sly James, uses a Pilot Varsity (hmmm… UPDATE:TRUE!)
- Kansas City has more pencils per capita than any other city in America (if you count my house, than probably)
- KC is home to the largest maker of boxed chocolates in the world (true. Russell Stover is headquartered here)
- Hallmark, which is headquartered in Kansas City, gives one-month “sabbaticals” to employees, for them to pursue art or other projects. Admittedly, the “sabbatical” is spent onsite, but it still sounds like a cool idea. (Actually, the sabbaticals are 6-months and two are awarded each year through the Barbara Marshall Award. And travel can be a part of the sabbatical. I know of winners of the award that have spent time in Venice, Greece, traveling the US and even tailgating at a Chiefs game. FYI, I work at Hallmark so I have the inside scoop on this particular detail!)
- Kansas City is home to the Royals, who have not won a World Series in my lifetime (
trueUPDATE: False. Won the Series in 1985. I was young but I was alive)
- Country Club Plaza holiday lights started from a 16-light strand in 1925 to more than 80 miles of wires and 280,000 lights today. (true)
- “Unbeknown to my family, there is a secret door at the back of my wardrobe that I can walk through and instantly appear in Kansas City” (have not found the secret door… yet)
- Kansas City is home to the best barbecue in America (point of great debate but we do love our BBQ and eat a lot of it. Oklahoma Joe’s is my personal favorite)
And now, for the winner of the Hallmarket Notebooklet….
Congrats, Dave! I’ll be sending you an email to get your mailing info! Looks like you landed on FREE NOTEBOOK!