I love the few, quiet days between Christmas and New Year’s. I use the time to potter around the house, tackling piles of papers, cleaning out my in-box (paper and digital), using Christmas cards to update addresses in my address book and other organizational projects. I try to write my thank you notes, catch up on correspondence, read books and catch up on movies. I really need a month but a week gets some of the projects checked off my list for the new year.
I love using the New Year as a chance to do things better. Lots of people talk about resolutions, but I think of them more as plans and goals. I often choose things that should be attainable in theory rather than things that are completely new habits or lifestyle.
So far, my personal goals are pretty humble:
- learn to cook more meals at home (besides frozen pizza)
- fix up my vintage bike (needs new rear wheel and tires)
- keep riding my bikes (4-5 times a week)
- keep writing lots of letters (and reply more quickly)
- match my GoodReads goal from 2013 (60 books)
- travel to SF for Ex Postal Facto
- more goodies in The Well-Appointed Desk shop
What are your goals for the New Year?