As I settle in to my new teaching schedule (5 hours a day, two days a week– all on ZOOM!) blended with freelance design work, blogging, and shop upkeep (shipping, inventory, new designs, etc), I find that it’s easy to get distracted by the new shiny releases that have been trickling into view from the pen community. The first big announcement was the early reveal of the Lamy Safari Limited Edition colors for 2021: Savannah Green and Terra Red. These are both reinterpretations of the original Safari pens released in 1980.
But some astute person on Facebook made a unique observation. I can’t find which of the many pen community boards it was posted on but the gist was… do the 2021 Lamy Safari pens remind you of anything?
Yeah, me too.
Next, is the release of new Pilot Parallel Pens in 3.0mm and 4.5mm widths ($10 each). These new sizes feature new body color (white which looks like it may be updating the whole line) and cap colors (pink and teal) as well. If you are a fan of Pilot Parallel pens, I feel certain these new additions will get added to your collection too.
More pen news next week.
Onward, to the links this week!
I included the “9 Best Fountain Pens” from My Modern Met just to rile you all up. Feel free to rage at the ineptitude of the recommendations. I certainly did.
After you cool down, there are lots of paper reviews this week from people who actually know a thing or two about what they are talking about as well as gobs of new ink reviews. There’s some joy to be found in “Other Interesting Things” like floral Lego collections, a Maya Angelou Barbie, Sisters with Transistors and Lava Lamp internet security. Then, you can roll your eyes at the sheer volume of mail that the USPS had to process in 2020. What a mess! (I do not blame postal employees. Upper management had to have seen this barrage coming and didn’t plan accordingly.)
Okay, onward. Enjoy!
- 9 Best Fountain Pens for Beginners and Professionals (via My Modern Met)
- Platinum Procyon Deep Sea Fountain Pen Review (via The Pen Addict)
- Writing and Flourishes with a Nakaya Music Nib Fountain Pen (via Gourmet Pens)
- Constellations88 The Elements Moranges (via dapprman)
- Flex nib Falcons – Click pen aficionados sing fountains of praise! (via Inked Happiness)
- Too many pens: Esterbroook Estie upgrade (via Scribbled Monboddo)
- Hippo Noto & Kiwi Inks V. 1: A Review (via The Pen Addict)
- KWZ Standard Blue-Black Ink (via Fountain Pen Pharmacist)
- Sailor Ink Studio 224 (via Mountain of Ink)
- Kaweco Summer Purple (via Mountain of Ink)
- Sailor Ink Studio 252 (via Mountain of Ink)
- Lennon Tool Bar Plastic Sky (via Fountain Pen Pharmacist)
- Van Dieman’s Ink Sample Review, Part 2 (via The Pen Addict)
- Ink Review: Did Scribo Create the Best Ink Bottle Ever? (via The Gentleman Stationer)
- Paper Mate SharpWriter Mechanical Pencil (via Writing at Large)
Notebooks & Paper:
- Thinkers Notebook V2 Review (via The Poor Penman)
- Are Artist’s Loft Notebooks better than Leuchtturm? (via Original Content Books)
- Pro Tip: Knitting Graph Paper (via Modern Daily Knitting)
- Peter Pauper Press Essentials Dot Matrix Notebook Review (Including Pen Test) (via All About Planners)
- ARC Punch versus Happy Planner versus the Levenger 1-2-3 Punch: Which is better? (via All About Planners)
- Clever Fox Planner Pro Weekly Review (via All About Planners)
- Work & Personal Planning Systems (via Rediscover Analog)
- Meet The Brand: TRAVELER’S COMPANY (via Cult Pens Blog)
- Keeping track of the books I’ve read… (via Nero’s Notes)
- Review: ScribbleSheets Orange Opal Edge Journal (via Comfortable Shoes Studio)
- Maker: Setting Up My Every Thing Every Where Journal (via Comfortable Shoes Studio)
Art & Creativity:
- Review: Daniel Smith Mineral Marvels dot card set (via Parka Blogs)
- Adding elements to my sketchbook pages (via Liz Steel)
- What Is Dada? Learn About the 20th-Century Art Movement (via My Modern Met)
- Free Embellished Calligraphy Quote Worksheet (via The Postman’s Knock)
- Simplifying: Goals Intentions and Planning My Year (via My Giant Strawberry)
- My Run and Sketch Kit (via Apple-Pine)
- Five predictions for creative jobs in 2021 (via Creative Boom)
Other Interesting Things:
- My Home Detox Project + Reset Button For 2021 (via decor8)
- Plastic Beauty: LEGO Unveils New Flower Bouquet Collection (via Design You Trust)
- Mattel Added Maya Angelou Barbie To Their “Inspiring Women” Series (via My Modern Met)
- Grateful: libraries (via Apple-Pine)
- Sisters with Transistors: Electronic Music’s Unsung Heroines (via Kottke.org)
- Lava Lamps Help Keep The Internet Secure?? (via Kottke.org)
- The Postal Service Survived the Election. But It Was Crushed by Holiday Packages. (via The New York Times)
We need each other. Please support our sponsors and affiliates. Your patronage will let them know you appreciate their support of the pen community. Without them, and without you, we could not continue to do what we do. Thank you!