Several products reviewed this week reminded me thatI heard quite a bit of “insider” news while at the pen show last week.
First, a legal issue has arisen with TWSBI. Just prior to the Atlanta Pen Show, online pen shops received a letter from TWSBI telling them they had until May 1 to remove Narwhal and PenBBS from their catalogs. TWSBI is taking legal action against these companies for using their filling system technology and other components in their pens. I don’t have specifics about the letter but heard about it from several vendors in Atlanta. When you read the review of the PenBBS 456 Cordierite Fountain Pen on The Pen Addict, the similarity of the filling system to TWSBI’s Vac700 is very apparent so I can certainly see the possible issue.
In an effort to get Narwhal and PenBBS to change their designs, TWSBI is pressuring pen shops that sell the competing brands to remove them thereby hitting Narwhal and PenBBS where it will hurt them most — their bottom line. Of course, I question the percentage of overall sales of PenBBS and Narwhal in the US and how much this move will hurt them financially but I certainly understand the action.
Yoseka Stationery has a wonderful video (listed below) that walks through all the products currently available from TWSBI. She talks through all the filling systems and visual differences in the pens if you are not familiar with their whole product line.
Where do you stand on this issue? Do you own any Narwhal or PenBBS pens? Do you think they have crossed the line in their pen designs into copyright infringement territory?
The second issue is with Perpanep paper. I heard a rumor that the creator of the Perpanep line died recently and Kokuyo is not planning to continue the line after the existing stock is depleted. Sadly, I cannot find any news to corroborate this bit of gossip but I really like the paper and was looking forward to seeing where the Perpanep product line was headed. I guess I’ll grab a few more notebooks now, just in case this rumor is true.
Have you heard about either of these issues? If you have links to more information, please include them in the comments. Thanks.
- Video-Review: Lamy 2000 (Broad vs Fine nib) (via Scrively)
- The New M800 Black-Red’s Surprising ‘Old’ Look (via The Pelikan’s Perch)
- Diplomat Aero (via dapprman)
- Uni-ball Signo: A Comprehensive Guide (via JetPens Blog)
- An Introduction to TWSBI Fountain Pens (via Yoseka Stationery)
- Falling in Love… with the Lamy Cursive Nib (via Pen Boutique Ltd)
- REVIEW: PILOT CAPLESS LS FOUNTAIN PEN (via The Pencilcase Blog)
- nothing to say: twsbi diamond 580alr (via A Fleeting Ripple)
- PenBBS 456 Cordierite Fountain Pen Review (via The Pen Addict)
- Advice from a Reformed Ink Hoarder (via Anderson Pens Blog)
- IWI Waking of Insects (via Mountain of Ink)
- Ferris Wheel Press WONDROUS WINTERBERRY (via HAPPY INK DAYS archives)
- Scribo Inks swatch tests (via FOUNTAIN PEN INK ART)
- Monarca Rey Jaguar Ink Review (via The Pen Addict)
- J. Herbin – Gris Nuage & Bleu des Profondeurs (via Inkaholic)
- Diamine Quartz Black (via Fountain Pen Pharmacist)
- Tono & Lims: Dignity (via Fountain Pen Pharmacist)
- Too many pens: Scribo fountain pen inks (via scribbledemonboddo)
Notebooks & Paper:
- Stolen Charles Darwin’s Notebooks Are Mysteriously Returned to Library (via My Modern Met)
- Kokuyo Perpanep Notebooks (via Fountain Pen Love)
- The three line progress tracker (via mnmlscholar)
- Time and ToDo Planner Review (Unique weekly layout) (via All About Planners)
- “Meeting notebook” – it’s not just for meetings! (via Nero’s Notes)
- Weird, Ugly Moleskine Planner (via Notebook Stories)
Art & Creativity:
- 6 Ways to Improve Your Cursive Handwriting + A Comprehensive Worksheet (via The Postman’s Knock)
- Paul Rubens Round Watercolor Block Review (via Doodlewash)
- TikTok: Art market disruptor or passing fad? (via Creative Boom)
- The Eames Institute launches with a curious, “Eamesian” identity, and a logo that observes (via It’s Nice That)
- Houston, we have a problem: Jeff Koons is sending sculptures to the moon (via It’s Nice That)
- It’s time to rethink what creative productivity and “hard work” looks like (via It’s Nice That)
Other Interesting Things:
- Tokyo’s World-Renowned Capsule Tower Will Be Demolished (via Hyperallergic)
- Blogging Masterclass Now Enrolling (via decor8)
- The Museum of Endangered Technology Sounds (via Kottke.org)
- The unusual suspects (via mnmlscholar)
- 2022 Atlanta Pen Show Recap and Report Card (via The Pen Addict)
- Guest Post: Two Writer’s Boxes, A Cautionary Tale (via Krafty Cats)
- When You Find a Specific Pen You Like: Atlanta Pen Show 2022 (via The Gentleman Stationer)
- Shooting a 70 year old Graflex Press Camera (via Atomic Redhead)
- In ‘King Pleasure,’ Family Stories and Personal Artifacts Illuminate Basquiat’s Life and Work (via Colossal)
- Listen to the Music That Shaped Jean-Michel Basquiat (via Hyperallergic)
We need each other. Please support our sponsors, affiliates or join our Patreon. Your patronage supports this site. Without them, and without you, we could not continue to do what we do. Thank you!