On the ninth day of Inkmas, I reviewed an ink that is virtually impossible to get. Sorry!
Confederate Confederation Brown is another sample I acquired from a member of my local pen club. It was the special ink created by KWZ for the Toronto Pen Show this year in honor of the 150th anniversary of Canada becoming a confederation. It was a limited edition color for the show and as far as I know, unless you know someone who attended the show and purchased a bottle, there is no way to acquire any of this ink. I am reviewing this to share the ink and hopefully provide some other options if you love it but can’t get any.
Confederate Confederation Brown is a cool brown which is similar to the Glare Olive Brown from yesterday. Coincidence? The club member who shared it with me was a bit disappointed that the ink wasn’t a warmer brown given the name. I can’t blame her. I was expecting more brown as well and was surprised at how green it was.
In my small stub nib that I use for my writing sample, the green undertone becomes pretty apparent on the Rhodia paper. In finer nibs, I suspect it would be less evident but this is definitely not a warm chocolatey brown reminiscent of brown bears, hot cocoa and rich soil. This is more of a deep forest, woodsy, evergreen brown.
The color is very saturated so there is only a little shading and no sheen.
But in the plus column, this is a classic KWZ formula with the original scent that is so distinctively KWZ. Accept no substitutes here.
Edit: Thanks to Twitter follower @skeskali for correcting me. The ink is actually called Confederation Brown not Confederate Brown… That’s a whole different color!
- Wondernaut: 150 Confederation Brown – Scriptus 2017 Le Ink By Kwzi
- Gourmet Pens: ScriptusToronto 2017 x KWZI 150 Confederation Brown
- Paper: Rhodia Uni-Blank No. 16 with 7mm guide sheet
- Pens: Empire vintage traveling dip nib holder with Zebra G titanium nib ($33.50 per 10-pack), Esterbrook #2442 nib in a Shawn Newton custom nib holder
- Swatches: Col-o-Ring Ink Testing Cards
- Brush: Blick Studio #0 Synthetic Round
- Ink: Montblanc UNICEF Turquoise (50ml bottle for $39)