According to the Goldspot web site, the colors created for the Colorverse Aurora Borealis special edition set ($36 for a two-bottle set) were inspired by the colors of the Pilot Vanishing Point Twilight & Crimson fountain pen.
In the larger 65ml bottle is Solar Wind, a bright, clear water blue. The smaller 15ml bottle is Magnetosphere is a deep violet purple.
In writing tests, Solar Wind is light and bright and Magnetosphere is a deep violet. Both do not appear to have any sheeing, and there’s a little shading in Solar Wind but Magentosphere is too dark to shade much.
In straight color comparisons, J. Herbin Bleu Azur and Sailor Jentle Yuki-Akari are the closest in hue and value. MontBlanc Mile Davis is more indigo blue than the slightly aqua of Solar Wind.
Comparing Magnetosphere to other inks reveal that Noodler’s Purple Martin is probably the closest match. Waterman Tender Purple is more violet blue but sheens. Colorverse Joy in the Ordinary Delicious Sleep is a little bit lighter.
The real treat with this set is that Aurora Borealis was designed specifically to be mixed together. To best show the range of colors that can be created with Solar Wind and Magnetosphere, I decided to make a loose watercolor using the two inks. With spatters, washed and a dip pen, I blended the colors.
Depending on the ratio of colors, the range is pretty lovely. Adding water creates lovely washes of color as well.
There’s even some sheening as a result of blending the colors.
If you are just looking for inks to fill your pens, these are lovely colors but there are less expensive options. If you’re looking for a set to experiment, paint and blend to create your own colors, then this is a lovely set.
- Paper: Rhodia Uni-Blank No. 16 with 7mm guide sheet, Canson XL Cold Press Watercolor
- Pens: Midori bullet pencil modified dip nib holder with Zebra G titanium nib ($33.50 per 10-pack), Shawn Newton Esterbrook Nib Holder with #9668 nib
- Swatches: Col-o-Ring Ink Testing Book ($10) & Col-o-dex Rotary Cards ($15)
- Brush: Silverwhite Round #2, Princeton Neptune Round #4 & 1/4″ Liner
- Ink: Colorverse Aurora Borealis Solar Wind & Magnetosphere Special Edition for Goldspot Pens ($17 for 50ml bottle)