Even in these unprecedented times, there are some things that remain constant like scorching heat and humidity in June in the Midwest followed by a rain storm that brings much needed relief. With this milder, warm weather everyone wants to be outside at the pool, by the grill or on the patio with a cold drink in their hands and I am no exception. It makes me envy school-age kids who are spending the summer trying to figure out how to fill their time while we adults must figure out how to carve out a few minutes of time to relax and enjoy this time.
But isn’t “carving out time” why we pursue this hobby? We evaluate planning systems to maximize our time so we can fit it all in — the work AND the play. We want our analog tools because they help us slow down, get off the computer and reflect.
I hope that all of you are able to take some time this week to enjoy your time — whether that’s sitting outside and listening to wind blow through the trees or spending an evening watching your favorite movie in the cool dark. I was reminded this week (Thanks, Anthropecene Reviewed) that we are on this earth for a mere blink of eye. We should probably enjoy it, see everything we can and embrace the best moments.
Also, we can decode some postage stamps, consider a specialty nib or nib grind, try some inks, and even watch Patrick Stewart on Sesame Street.
Until next week…
- Intro to Sailor Shikiori (via Yoseka Stationery)
- Flexy Calligraphy Fun with Fountain Pens (via Gourmet Pens)
- The Best Ballpoint Pens, 2021 Review (via JetPens)
- When One Nib is not Enough (via The Pen Addict)
- Upturned & Downturned Nibs (via Left Hook Pens)
- To grind a nib or not to grind a nib, part one (via mnmlscholar)
- Fine Writing International Fenestro Fountain Pen in Aurora: A Review (via The Pen Addict)
- Shibui 3-Pen Case Review (via The Pen Addict)
- New Brew Inks (via Rants of The Archer)
- Hitting the reset button with six new inks, and Grogu (via mnmlscholar)
- 10+ Best Fountain Pen Inks for Illustrators and Letterers (via My Modern Met)
- Yoseka Origin No. 01 (via Mountain of Ink)
- Ferris Wheel Press Pink Eraser on Midori MD (via Inkcredible Colours)
- Ink Institute Cat at Dawn (via Fountain Pen Pharmacist)
- Montblanc Petrol Blue (via Fountain Pen Pharmacist)
- The Best Mechanical Pencils (via JetPens)
Notebooks & Paper:
- Notebooks from Singaporean brands (via Inkcredible Colours)
- The Best Leather Journal and Notebook Covers (via JetPens)
- Turn Any Notebook Into A Planner with Midori MD Diary Stickers (via The Gentleman Stationer)
- Buying and Selling Organisers (via Philofaxy)
Art & Creativity:
- Learn How to Make Calligraphy With These Awesome Workbooks (via My Modern Met)
- Using my sketchbook to get organised! (via Liz Steel)
Other Interesting Things:
- Workspacing, part 1 (via Alphabettes)
- Japanese Watchmaker Collaborates with Urushi Artisan to Create Elegant Lacquered Timepieces (via Spoon & Tamago)
- Patrick Stewart Does Hamlet on Sesame Street (via Kottke)
- Journalist Creates True South, Antarctica’s First Flag [Interview] (via My Modern Met)
- Craft Your Own Kitty Playground When You Create a DIY Cat Tower (via My Modern Met)
- Mystery Message in New Forever Stamps (via USPS)
- Tap Dance Forever stamps to be unveiled in Times Square (via USPS)
- ‘Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth’ by Oliver Jeffers (via Tools and Toys)
- The Cincinnati Type & Print Museum (via The Typewriter Revolution blog)
We need each other. Please support our sponsors and affiliates. Your patronage will let them know you appreciate their support of the pen community. Without them, and without you, we could not continue to do what we do. Thank you!