Its not just me, right? Besides perpetually questing for the perfect pen, ink, notebook, planner, pencil, ad nauseum, you also are on the perpetual hunt for the perfect bag too?
I have several bags that are pretty close but not perfect. There are occasions where I need something slightly smaller, slightly larger, slightly more rugged or slightly more dressy, etc. Gentlemen in the audience who have fewer requirements, I suspect, and more pockets (“I am only slightly jealous of the amount of pockets sewn into men’s clothing,” she’s says ironically) but I also hear men raise similar ranges of needs so I’m trying not to pigeonhole anyone. Is there a “perfect” bag or can we ever get to one or two perfect bags? One for work, one for travel and maybe one for weekend jaunts?
The bags I currently have in circulation are:
- Tom Bihn Swift knitting Tote (as pictured)
- Rickshaw Bags Medium Zero Messenger (similar color scheme)
- Timbuk2 Medium Messenger (not as pictured but isn’t this fabric cool?)
- Kipling Cadie Tote (in olive green not black, of course)
I work a corporate, 9-to-5 job and I feel I’ve reached a point where most backpacks look too academic to carry to work. However, I do carry a good deal of stuff with me so I need a decent-sized bag. I like being able to switch between some sort of handle for getting in and out of a car and then use a shoulder strap/cross body strap for the 0.25 mile walk from the parking lot to my desk. Really. It’s a big campus.
Usual contents of daily bag are:
- pen case (pictured is my favorite LWA member-only pen case)
- notebook (not pictured, currently XL Moleskine soft cover book)
- planner (pictured Filofax Personal Original in dark aqua)
- travel mug/water bottle
- knitting project (not shown: can be small sock project or whole dang sweater)
- small cosmetics bag (vintage Girl Scout fabric purchased at Renegade Craft Fair in Chicago)
- ear buds
- business cards (Pantone case)
- wallet (Coach wristlet)
I’ve considered one of the Moleskine MyCloud bags ( I know, its crazy talk but I like the subtle exterior and the bright interior colors). They look well-constructed as well. There are an assortment of internal pockets for devices, pens and accesories but I cant’ find many review online so I am having to scrounge information. I have space credits (AKA money in my PayPal account) right now so I’m considering the reporter ($139.95) or the tote ($159.95). I do agree that our bags are our mobile offices and our desks-on-the-go especially when travelling.
Do you have a favorite bag? Or are you, like me, still hunting for the perfect combination of good looks and functionality?